Iran Says US Economic War Is A Familiar Scenario

Published: August 23, 2026, 4:56 pm

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has stated that the “economic war” currently being waged by Washington is a recurring scenario that Tehran is well-equipped to confront. Speaking on Sunday during a visit to the mausoleum of Ayatollah Khomeini in Tehran, Araghchi dismissed the measures recently announced by US President Donald Trump as a mere repetition of previous American policies toward Iran.

Araghchi noted that the United States had previously threatened Iran with “military operations” and various attacks before eventually returning to its established plans. He argued that Washington’s shift from aggressive rhetoric—such as threats to “strike and do this and that”—back to its old policies demonstrates that the US is unable to develop any new options for dealing with Iran. “They cannot think of any other solution in confronting the great Iranian people, so they repeatedly put forward the same old plans,” Araghchi said. He added that Washington must understand there is no path forward other than speaking to the Iranian people with respect and finding a solution rooted in justice and dignity.

President Trump announced his intention this week to launch what he described as the most crushing economic operation ever taken against any country. He characterized his maximum-pressure campaign against Tehran as “Economic Warfare and Isolation on an unprecedented scale.”

Diplomatic efforts between the two nations have faced significant challenges. Although Iran and the US signed a memorandum of understanding in June through the mediation of Pakistan and Qatar—effectively ending hostilities that had begun in February—talks have since stalled. The current impasse is driven by disputes over the implementation of that memorandum and disagreements regarding arrangements for navigation through the Strait of Hormuz, which serves as a critical route for global oil and gas exports.

Photo: Collected