Prime Minister Andy Burnham has addressed the upcoming return of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex to the UK, stating that the security arrangements for the couple are a private matter. Following reports that Harry and Meghan intend to relocate from the United States to a non-royal residence outside London this month, the Prime Minister declined to comment on the funding of their protection. "This is a private matter," Burnham said. "It’s a matter for Harry and Meghan, and we wish them well in the moves that they’re making."
The couple, who have lived in North America for more than six years, have already enrolled their children, Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet, five, in British schools, with classes scheduled to begin in September. King Charles was informed of this decision on Sunday and is reportedly pleased to have the opportunity to see more of his family in a private capacity. The couple will continue to be regarded as private individuals and non-working royals, with no plans to undertake royal engagements or adopt a "half-in, half-out" arrangement.
Questions regarding security funding have long been a point of contention between the Duke and the Home Office. The Times has reported that there are currently no plans to provide the family with taxpayer-funded armed protection. This follows a protracted legal battle last year in which the Prince unsuccessfully challenged the withdrawal of automatic taxpayer-funded security after he stepped down as a working royal. During that legal challenge, the Prince stated, "The UK is my home. The UK is central to the heritage of my children and a place I want them to feel at home as much as where they live at the moment in the US. That cannot happen if it’s not possible to keep them safe when they are on UK soil." A judge later ruled his sense of grievance was insufficient for an appeal, and the Prince subsequently told the BBC that he could not foresee a world in which he would bring his family back to the UK.
Decisions regarding royal security are managed by the royal and VIP executive committee, an independent body overseen by the Home Office. While the Prime Minister does not oversee these decisions, the committee may factor in the Prince’s new circumstances and his background as a former military serviceman who served in Afghanistan. A Home Office spokesperson noted that the government’s security system is "rigorous and proportionate" and that it is long-standing policy not to provide detailed information on such arrangements to protect their integrity.
While the Sussexes have not issued an official statement regarding their return, a source noted that the couple enjoyed their July visit and that upcoming work projects, such as the Invictus Games in Birmingham next year, made this an appropriate time to move. The couple plans to retain their homes in Montecito, California, and Portugal. Meghan is expected to manage her lifestyle brand, As Ever, from the UK, though her future charity work remains unconfirmed. Furthermore, the Prince has expressed a desire to spend more time with his father, who has cancer, and next year marks the 30th anniversary of the death of his mother, Diana. The family stayed at Althorp, the home of the Spencer family, during their visit last month. A recent YouGov poll of 5,810 adults revealed that 33% of respondents believe the couple should not return, while 21% are in favor of the move and 45% are unsure.





